Meeting Minutes

PDF DOWNLOAD LINK

Idaho Occupational Therapy Association

Board Meeting Minutes

August 07, 2018

Boise, ID

Call-in: Conference call line: 605-475-4120, Moderator PIN: 895 9648, Access code: 460 3087

Meeting location: St. Alphonsus Hospital, Coughlin Room 2. Right across from McCleary

In attendance:

Angela Zaugg

Beki Baxter

Kim Hendrickson

Christina Jenkins

Erika Neff

Mel Henderson

Kari Thompson

Jessie Given

Rebecca Strickler

Karla Brown

Call to order 7:00 pm

Review and approve minutes – on hold; Angela will email last month’s meeting minutes to Mel and it will be distributed to EB Members for approval.

Financial Update: Erika – Revenue $167.95; Expenses $760.00

OLD Business

IBOL Community Member Post: on hold for Sara Poppleton follow-up

Lobbyist: Kari and Mel meeting with Caroline Merritt, True North Consulting, September 5.

IBOL Mtg: CE and supervision proposals accepted, telehealth on hold ; Cherie Strand new Chairperson

Becki Stephens Excellence in OT Award. Nominations – 1 so far. Board members please get the word out to other OTPs/coworkers; Christian to send out notification of deadline extension.

NEW Business

Committees

Continuing Education: Kim – Cherie will present at the IOTA conference re: IBOL updates; please share the information with coworkers; Kari and Karla working on getting the word out to teachers for the writing presentation.

Advocacy: Kari – attending Medicaid meetings and advocating for OT coverage.

Legislation: Jessie – session is out currently; Karla – both West Ada and Boise moved OTs to certified staff; Karla planning to attend the education committee meeting to ensure rule changes for CE requirements.

Membership Committee

Karla Brown: to meet with Christian, Erika; looking at regular communication to members to keep them engaged (ie AOTA)

Outreach: Rebecca/Christina – Erika will ask Christian re: Skype for Business (video conference) abilities to allow district reps to be more involved. Proposing having district reps at the fall conference to hand out color coded ribbons so OTPs will be able to meet other therapists from their region.

Tech: Erika/Christian – Will meet with above-mentioned committees to improve communication with members, etc

 

Nominations: Open positions – VP, Treasurer, Reimbursement/Legislative, CE chair, President-elect and OT and OTA Student reps (ISU will have nominations for these positions); Erika to add nominations to website

Next meeting – October 16, 2018 @ 7 pm

ADJOURN – 8:03 pm; Motion: Mel Henderson; 2nd: Angela Zaugg

PDF DOWNLOAD LINK

Idaho Occupational Therapy Association

Board Meeting Minutes

June 05, 2018

Boise, ID

7:00 – 8:22 pm

 

Call-in: Conference call line: 605-475-4120, Moderator PIN: 895 9648,  Access code: 460 3087

Code to front door: 8574*

Call to order

In attendance:

  • Mel Henderson
  • Angela Zaugg
  • Beki Baxter
  • Karla Brown
  • Christina Jenkins
  • Erika Neff
  • Jessie Given
  • Catlin Jensen
  • Kim Hendrickson
  • Christian Turner
  • Kari Thompson

Ground rules: pen and paper in front of all, to-dos for all, no side conversations, stick to agenda, start and stop on time, move on if more conversation/investigation is needed.

  • Review and approve minutes for 4/03/18; Motion: Kim Hendrickson; 2nd: Erika Neff
  • Financial Update: Erika- Balance $11,582.00; Revenue: $760.36; Expenses: $1,054.45

OLD Business

  • MDA: volunteer experience.  On the website; will post to the FB page.
  • IBOL Community Member Post: on hold for Sara Poppleton follow-up.

NEW Business

  • Lobbyist:  Kari and Mel meeting with Caroline Merritt, True North Consulting.
    • Motion: Kari Thompson – motion to hire for the year at proposed rate; 2nd: Kim Hendrickson
  • IBOL Mtg: 6/22. Further discussion of CE.  
    • Friday @ 9 am; please attend if at all able; will prioritize the meeting to cycle on the main page of our website.
    • Kari will write a letter to the board from IOTA on Supervision and Mel will write a letter re: CE to remind them of what we are supporting.  Karla will summarize school therapy CE needs.
  • Becki Stephens Excellence in OT Award.  Will discuss and finalize tonight during CE committee meeting.
  • Refinement of student involvement: Christina – met with OTA students at ISU to determine what would get them more engaged
    • Would like to have student resources
      • Christina started posting on the website to increase buy-in for students to join IOTA
      • Catlin has been sending a summary of our meetings to the ISU student organization to keep them informed
  • Does IOTA need to improve on conference call equipment?
    • Mel will research STAARS re: changing venue  for IOTA meetings for improved conference call capabilities.
    • Erika to research conference call plan options
  • Committees
    • Continuing Education: Kim
      • STS review
        • Great topics
        • Presenters enjoyed the experience
        • Poor attendance
        • Christian: survey results predominantly scored 4-5/5
        • The venue was nice, but difficult to orchestrate with security requirements
      • Sponsor ISU dementia course
        • Mel will seek more information for clarity
      • AOTA CE Directory
        • Kim will fill out application and submit to add IOTA to the directory
      • Fall Conference
        • Will be finalizing during CE meeting tonight
    • Advocacy: Kari
      • Billing Self-care 97535: Mel – seeing some denials from some insurers both nationally and locally
        • Mel will contact AOTA for resources/support; will add to list for consultant to assist with
      • Will plan to address Habilitative intervention services vs OT services  for insurance coverage
      • OP Therapy Clinic in Pocatello requesting clarification on supervision: Kari will contact to clarify
      • Mel will review with Jessica how to keep track of the legislative updates
    • Outreach:  Rebecca/Christina:
      • Received award at AOTA for membership growth
      • Christian: reviewed the contact procedure to remind people to renew membership
        • Will send out email with $10 discount to fall conference if they sign up
        • Will ask consultant re: membership drive ideas
      • Plan to complete quarterly newsletter to post on the website; 1st letter in September.
      • Need pics and bios for regional reps
      • Color-coded map of state to clarify what region each therapist is in: Jason.
        • Could use to improve networking during Fall Conference
      • Need a 1 page summary/bullet points re: the benefits of joining IOTA
        • Add statistic for number of OTPs that are involved in their state associations – Karla to spearhead
    • Tech: Erika/Christian:
      • Need content for the website
        • Send in Word or Google Docs format
        • Kari will complete a write-up on Autism and Karla will complete a write-up on school related updates
        • May be able to create a link to AOTA updates – Erika to follow-up
      • Blurb about ISU accreditation- Joanne – Erika will email to get write-up
  • Next meeting
    • August 7, 2018 @ 7 pm; PIcnic in the park

ADJOURN – Motion: Mel Henderson; 2nd: Angela Zaugg

PDF DOWNLOAD LINK

Idaho Occupational Therapy Association

Executive Board Meeting Minutes

April 03, 2018

7:00 –  8:14 pm

Boise, ID

In Attendance

  • Mel Henderson
  • Angela Zaugg
  • Beki Baxter (via call-in number)
  • Carla Brown
  • Autumn Hume
  • Erika Neff
  • Jessie Given
  • Catlin Jensen
  • Kim Hendrickson
  • Christian Turner
  • Sara Poppleton

Call to order

Review and approve minutes: all in favor, none opposed.

Financial Update: Erika

  • Revenue: $1.33; Expenses: $2,368 (primarily for website work)
  • AOTA/ASAP expenses for Mel and Kari: covered per IOTA bylaws (~$700 per person)

OLD Business

Schools follow-up: Karla Brown

  • Spoke with Ronda Roth and attended SDE negotiated rule-making meeting on March 23
  • Karla to continue to attend meetings
  • OTPs can become certificated with IBOL requirements (instead of college credits like the teachers do
  • SDE will work with IOTA, SLPs, PTs, etc re: years of therapy experience vs years of school experience when determining salary scale

Lobbyist:

  • IOTA severed relationship with John Watts; currently without lobbyist representation
  • Reviewed lobbyist activities of surrounding states (WY, MT, OR)
    • Mel to meet with 2 potential replacements to determine feasibility
    • It could cost as much as $12,000/mo for  IOTA to have a lobbyist
    • Mel proposed that IOTA go without a lobbyist and strengthen the legislative committee
    • Kim proposed that we clarify who/what is needed for the legislative committee
      • Peds: Kari and Jessi
      • Schools: Karla
      • Adults: Mel

Swag: Kari ordered and received.  Will bring to next meeting as she is OOT.

Committees:

Committee assignments: if not on a committee, please choose one, contact the committee leader, and become involved

Continuing Education – Kim: Spring Treatment Summit on track for May 19 (will finalize during CE committee meeting tonight); working on fall conference, hosting Dementia Care Specialist CE;  adding St Luke’s neuro conference to IOTA website

Advocacy – Kari (Mel covering):  Idaho Insurance Bulletin – Autism now a covered diagnosis in Idaho; there was an article on the front page of the Idaho Statesman today; positive changes seen at IBOL d/t IOTA-directed, grass-roots efforts

Outreach – Rebecca: SLC Meet and Greet; OT Month (will add IG post) and Catlin will email ISU OT students to get an update of their OT Month activities

NEW Business

  • Autumn Hume, executive director MDA: discussed a volunteer opportunity for the MDA Summer Camp being held at the Quaker Hill Camp in McCall, ID, August 4-10.  Erika will post the information on the IOTA website for any interested in participating.
  • Refinement of student involvement: SOTA updates, communication between student reps, communication to schools, etc.  (Tabled until next meeting d/t time constraints)
    • Bryan Gee’s email
  • Does IOTA need to improve on conference call equipment? (Tabled until next meeting d/t time constraints); Becki sent email during meeting detailing difficulties with the current equipment.
  • Tech Committee: Update on website – Erika, Christian: will work to streamline application and payment on website for job postings, CE, and advertising; demonstrated new website and email that will be sent out through Mail Chimp to all IOTA members to sign in and reactivate their membership once the membership spreadsheet is reviewed/verified; will add registration link for the Spring Treatment Summit.
  • IBOL Community Member Post – Sara Poppleton: has contacted Paula Dennis, who is interested; will follow up to see if she has been able to submit her application on the IBOL website.

Next meeting: June 5, 2018 at 7 pm

ADJOURN

PDF DOWNLOAD LINK

Idaho Occupational Therapy Association

Executive Board Meeting Minutes

February 06, 2018

7:00 to 8:26 pm

Boise, ID

In Attendance

  • Mel Henderson
  • Angela Zaugg
  • Beki Baxter
  • Christina Jenkins
  • Carla Brown
  • Erika Neff
  • Kari Thompson
  • Sara Poppleton
  • Christina Warn
  • Jessie Given
  • Rebecca Strickler
  • Kim Hendrickson
  • Christian Turner

Call to order

Review and approve minutes; all in favor; none opposed

Business

  • Picture retakes in the lobby tonight for those who would like one
  • Financial Update: Erika –  Revenue: $36.90; Expenses $197.00
  • PDUs for IOTA service: 10 hours per reporting period, per rule.  
    • Send Mel an email, and he will send the form to you.
  • Schools and Medicaid follow-up: Kari, Jessie
    • The school rule has passed.  The school districts are allowed to  determine pay scale. OT can become certificated staff.  Need to work on the addendum to further protect OT interests as related to CEUs, etc
    • Carla to contact Ronda (Nampa School District OT) and will assist with working on addendum suggestions
    • Insurances are denying coverage for autism dx or providing only 20 visits/calendar year; also only covering for certain ages (ie 6-9)
      • Contact your state reps (see email from Kari)
      • Mel will send letter from IOTA EB
    • Lobbyist, John Watts
      • Requesting a fee increase
      • Changing statute wording or lobbying for issues that IOTA has no interest in
      • Not assisting much, if at all, with school and autism issues
      • Motion for paying the fee increase (Mel); all opposed
      • Mel will ask Chuck at AOTA and other Northwest Associations to assist in determining future lobbyist needs
  • Committees
    • Continuing Education: Kim
      • Spring Treatment Summit, May 19, 2018: Stress management for OTPs and Clients; 6 CEUs
      • Fall Conference, September 29, 2018
    • Tech: Erika, Christian: update on website
      • Motion for Christian to design web page and post to new domain if needed (Mel): all in favor; none opposed
    • Outreach: Becki
      • Review of dates for meet and greets around the state; would like to have IOTA reps at meetings if planning to be in those areas; contact Becki for dates/times; will plan to have one during the AOTA conference in SLC; ISU also may be having a gathering at the AOTA conference for alums
      • Carla: MDA would like to speak to IOTA at next meeting re: volunteers for their McCall camp; will forward contact info to Mel; suggests having district outreach reps provide quarterly updates to the board re: what is happening in their area
      • Committee to research doing Membership Drive during OT month
  • Next meeting
    • Committees: March 6
    • EB: April 3

ADJOURN

PDF DOWNLOAD LINK

Idaho Occupational Therapy Association

Executive Board Meeting Minutes

January 9, 2018

7:00 to 7:10 pm

Boise, ID

In Attendance

  • Mel Henderson
  • Angela Zaugg
  • Beki Baxter
  • Christina Jenkins
  • Erika Neff
  • Kari Thompson
  • Sara Poppleton
  • Christina Warn
  • Jessie Given
  • Catlin Jensen
  • Rebecca Strickler
  • Kim Hendrickson
  • Christian Turner

Business

  • Introductions:
    • Krista Fisher is the new Membership Coordinator
    • Proposed hiring Christian Turner as IOTA Website and Technical Coordinator
      • Motion: Mel Henderson, 2nd: Angela Zaugg; All in favor; none opposed
  • IBOL update:
    • 4 of 5 positions have been turned over in 2017
    • Current members
      • Cherie Strand
      • Farrell Lindley
      • Jori Bathina
      • Brenda Krueger
    • The community member position expires 12/18
      • IOTA to actively seek community member replacement
  • Announcements:
    • ACOTE seeking comment regarding changes to entry-level educational requirements
      • Deadline 4/23/18
    • IBOL seeking comment regarding executive order Idaho Licensing Freedom Act
      • Deadline 5/1/18; see Board of Licensure main page

PDF DOWNLOAD LINK

Idaho Occupational Therapy Association

Executive Board Meeting Minutes

December 05, 2017

7:00 to 7:57 pm

Boise, ID

In Attendance

  • Mel Henderson
  • Angela Zaugg
  • Beki Baxter
  • Christina Jenkins
  • Erika Neff (via phone)
  • Brittany Cissell
  • Christina Warn
  • Lavonne Fields
  • Jessie Given
  • Catlin Jensen
  • Rebecca Strickler
  • Kim Hendrickson

Approved minutes from November 7, 2017 meeting: motion – Kim Hendrickson, 2nd – Rebecca Strickler; all in favor; none opposed

OLD Business

  • Financial Update: Erika – Account balance at end of November: $19,442; Revenue of $162; Expenses of $428
  • Schools and Medicaid: letter/post from Rhonda Roth
    • Update from Kari/Jessie: Communication from AOTA, John Watts
      • AOTA states they will help IOTA with financial and advocacy needs
      • Jessie to follow up with Kari and John re: school pay scale changes
  • Committees
    • Committee assignments: CE (Kim), Membership, Advocacy (Kari), Legislative (Kari), Nomination (Kari), Tech (Erika), Outreach (Rebecca)
      • Committee chairs to email a list to Angela of current committee members
  • Open positions:
    • Vice President
    • SW Outreach
    • Social Media Director (Insta, FB, website)
      • Rebecca to incorporate SM oversight into the Outreach Committee
      • Kim will follow-up with contacts re: website assistance
      • Mel and Rebecca to meet with Dave re: website access
    • Membership Coordinator: Krista Fisher (Need access to Mail Chimp, need updated member roster, will present quarterly either in person or via phone)
  • Storytelling
    • Member and EB Member spotlights
    • Pics and bios on web: Erika
    • Assignment: research photographer: Kari
      • Beki – $250 for all EB member headshots
      • Mel: motion to approve; Rebecca: second; all in favor; none opposed
      • February 6, at 7 pm before board meeting; dress professionally
  • IBOL Update
    • Jori Bathina has been appointed
    • Need OTA applicant. Have 2 possible
    • Leaves only the chair position, term expires 12/18
    • Dry needling. An association issue, not an IBOL issue
    • Kim update: should begin thinking about community members that would best serve on the IBOL board so we are prepared when the position becomes open next year; training that has not been approved through the application process will generally be approved as an inservice and will likely count towards CEUs; discussed streamlining the application process to simplify the 2 year requirement to obtain CEUs.  
  • Outreach Strategies:
    • Update on communication: Rebecca
      • Had phone call meeting with district reps
      • Asked each of the reps to identify 2 meet and greet dates by the next meeting in January
      • Rebecca to follow up with robocalling information
      • Rebecca to contact IBOL to request listing obtaining OTP emails in the state as an item for the next meeting in March
  • Swag: Update – Kari, Jessi
    • Will present at next meeting – trying to find the most cost effective items/means to generate interest
    • Christina J provided Kari with contact information of a business contact for items
  • Christina W – provided information re: Cranial-sacral course; will post on FB

NEW Business

  • Conference call line: 605-475-4120
    • Moderator PIN: 895 9648
    • Access code: 460 3087
  • Next meeting
    • January 9 CE Committee meeting, 7 pm
    • February 6 EB meeting, 7 pm
  • Catlin to send ISU students an email re: summary of EB meeting discussions
  • Will plan to offer the student rate at IOTA treatment summits/conferences for those that help on committees
  • Discussed offering a discounted rate to first time IOTA members who have an active AOTA membership
  • Kim to contact Erika re: getting the slideshow honoring Becky to pass on to St Al’s therapy

ADJOURN

PDF DOWNLOAD LINK

Idaho Occupational Therapy Association

Executive Board Meeting Minutes

November 07, 2017

7 pm – 8:10 pm

Boise, ID

In Attendance

  • Mel Henderson
  • Erika Neff
  • Jessie Given
  • Rebecca Strickler
  • Kari Thompson
  • Ann Gazda
  • Christina Jenkins
  • Catlin Jensen
  • Kim Hendrickson
  • Angela Zaugg
  • Rhonda Roth (via call in)

Approved minutes from October 10, 2017 meeting: Motion – Angela Zaugg, Second – Erika Neff; All in favor; non opposed.

OLD Business

  • Review duties in bylaws
    • Submit job description edits in writing to Mel by next meeting
  • All serve on committee
    • Committee assignments: CE, Membership, Advocacy, Legislation, Nomination, Tech, Community Outreach
    • Need to involve representatives from all scopes of practice
    • May want to post quarterly letters on IOTA website to inform OTPs of what is being accomplished
    • Angela to contact David re: sending out an email blast to all IOTA members for interest in joining a committee
  • Open positions:
    • Vice President
    • SW Outreach
    • Social Media Director (Insta, FB, website)
    • Membership Coordinator
  • Storytelling
    • Erika to make bios uniform
    • Kim presented photographer cost/info
    • Assignment: Kari to further research photographer for cost comparison
  • IBOL Update
    • Farrell Kessler and Jori Bathina have filled OTR openings
    • Need OTA applicants
  • Computer for Angela:
    • Catlin brought Chromebook for consideration
    • Rebecca motioned to approve purchase, Kim seconded; All in favor; none opposed
  • Outreach Strategies:
    • Rebecca presented information re: cost of robocalling
    • Rebecca to type of script for use
    • Motion by Ann to approve cost of robocall to OTPs in the state, Kari second; all in favor, none opposed
    • Rebecca to contact Chuck at AOTA and request he send out an email to AOTA members in the state re: IOTA
    • Erika to update website
    • Catlin contacted ISU 1st year student OTs and will keep up to date on IOTA info

NEW Business

  • Financial Update: Erika  provided monthly summary of expenditures, income, current balance
  • School and Medicaid:
    • Mel read emails from Rhonda Roth and Tony DeAngeles re: legislative proposal to change OT designation in the schools from certified to classified
    • Rhonda presented concerns re: increased demands/workload vs attempt to devalue OT under proposed legislation
    • Kari to contact John Watts and initiate writing an advocacy letter and determining correct legislative committee contact
    • Chuck at AOTA to be a resource
    • Rhonda to contact BSC and West Ada SD OTs
    • Will post updates to IOTA FB page
  • Lost CEU cert: to discuss at CE committee meeting following EB meeting
  • Scheduling EB meetings vs committee meetings
    • Each every other month (Mel motioned, Angela second – all in favor, none opposed)
  • Next meeting
    • EB – Dec 5; Committees – Jan 9
  • Membership
    • Erika to contact David re: recent PayPal issues
  • Outreach
    • Kari to research cost of IOTA vests and will vote at next meeting

ADJOURN

PDF DOWNLOAD LINK

Idaho Occupational Therapy Association

Executive Board Meeting Minutes

October 10, 2017

7pm-8:09pm

Boise, ID

In Attendance

  • Mel Henderson
  • Erika Neff
  • Jessie Given
  • Rebecca Strickler
  • Christina Warn
  • Kari Thompson
  • Beki Baxter
  • Christina Jenkins
  • Catlin Jensen
  • Kim Hendrickson
  • Angela Zaugg

OLD Business

  • No old business

NEW Business

  • Conference
    • Overall very positive feedback
    • Some attendees would have preferred to choose courses versus being in an adult or pediatric track only.
    • Decreased student focus during presentations.
    • AOTA survey to be sent out, Erika to contact David
    • At future conferences plan to have certificates online instead of printing
    • Positive feedback from Amy Lamb
  • Review rules for meetings:
    • pen and paper in front of all, to-dos for all, no side conversations, stick to agenda, start and stop on time, move on if more conversation/investigation is needed.
  • Review duties in bylaws.
    • 2 OTA students working together
    • Outreach working together with district reps
      • Monthly phone calls with district reps, outreach coordinators and president to attend
    • Adding to, better delineating, adding detail and clarity to job description
  • Committees
    • We need to reach out to other OTP’s, need more volunteers to sit on committees
      • Committees should not have to be filled by board members only.
  • Board communication
    • As this is a new board, will continue with standard email process and will review in month.
  • Open positions:
    • Vice President
      • Listing will be posted on website with job description
    • SW Outreach
      • Listing will be posted on website with job description
    • Social Media Director
      • Listing will be posted on website with job description
    • Membership Coordinator
      • Present at monthly meetings if possible as they will be giving membership updates.
      • Listing will be posted on website with job description
  • No pairing policy: no drama presentation, Connie Miller
    • Possibly will have at a tx summit, no final decision made.
    • We need to offer CE’s in more than one category
  • Monthly meetings
    • Will continue with monthly meetings for now
  • Swag
    • Need items such as a tablecloth or banner
    • Look at getting t-shirts or vests made
    • Kari, Jessie will address
  • Outreach
    • Possibly call members
    • Send postcards?
    • Erika to obtain contact info of someone interested in helping with outreach
  • Traveling around the state
    • Continue to discuss. We need to reach out to all parts of the state
  • Storytelling
    • Member and EB Member spotlights
    • Pics and bios on web
      • Discussion on professional style photos versus casual photos. Undecided as a group
        • Kim to contact a photographer before we decide
  • CE Committee:
    • Kim, chair
    • Kari, second
    • Will have 1 treatment summit per year
      • Possibly a full day versus ½ day
    • Fall conference
    • Separate conference committee
      • We need more members added
  • Finance:
    • Balance accts MONTHLY
    • Provide MONTHLY reports
    • Present information at fall conference and vote to accept
    • Need to be transparent
    • Get money out of PayPal
      • Erika transferred 10,042.52 to the bank account
  • IBOL Update
    • One immediate OTR opening
    • One OTR, one OTA in December. Need OTA app.
  • Next Meeting on November 7th at 7pm
  • Adjourn